Packaging and Merchandising Design Assignment 1: Toy or Game Packaging

December 11, 2018

Packaging and Merchandising Design Assignment 1: Toy or Game Packaging


Beatrix Leong Yi Wen

0331043

Packaging and Merchandising Design

Lecturer: Mr. Shamsul Hamimi

Pick Up Sticks Redesign

Instructions//

Research //

Original packaging /branding //

Weakness:

  • Lack of branding
  • Flimsy packaging
  • Hard to take sticks in and out
  • Unattractive packaging
  • Poor English/copywriting
  • Weak design

Pinterest board:


Sketches //







Feedback //


Creative Brief//

I chose to redesign a classic toy from my childhood, Pick Up Sticks. The weaknesses of the original product was that the packaging was too flimsy, wasn't attractive, didn't have a strong branding or good packaging, and had poor English /copywriting. I decided to take a modern twist on the game with a fun font that represented the sticks theme and with a jaunty placement reflecting the movement of the sticks in the game. I used a dark gray background so it would look modern and it would allow the colours of the sticks to stand out, which reflect the colours of the actual sticks.

In addition, I designed a qr code that leads to a digital instruction sheet that can be accessed via smartphone to save paper. I also created a stand for displaying the tube. I chose to use a tubular packaging so that it saves space and can fit all the sticks neatly, and can be directly used to disperse the sticks before playing as well as travel friendly

Process//

Colour scheme:
Digital instructions first design:


Digital instructions final:




Initial labels:

Display:


Cover:


Tube:



Improvements:






QR code (leads to digital instructions):

Packaging dieline:


Final Submission //









Reflection //

I found this to be a very interesting assignment to redesign an existing pakaging and brand of a game I'm quite fond of. It was quite fun to do overall and I am quite satisfied with how my design turned out after multiple improvements. Doing the QR code was something different as I had never done it before, but it worked out in the end. Making the whole tube and cover by hand from scratch was really challenging though.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images